But what can I do?

Lately I've been reading more and more about the drought and famine in east Africa.  My heart is breaking and more and more I feel sick to my stomach.

Here are some pictures to give you an idea.

A few days ago I read a story about a mother who had to leave her three year old son behind as she fled from Somalia with her older children....her youngest would have slowed them down and put them in danger.  She said she didn't know what would happen to him.

I have a three year old.  

What type of desperation would drive a mom to leave her little one-- just to save her older ones?

What mom should have to make that choice?

Sitting here in my air conditioned house, looking over at discarded crumbs on the floor of the kitchen...what can I do?

I can give money...but will it make it to the one mom that needs it right now?  Is money enough?  How much would ever be enough to give?  Is that all I can do?

I can pray to the Omnipotent Creator of the universe-- the God that created Africa, and the very same God who knit all of those hungry, hungry babies together in their mothers' wombs.  

But how do I pray?  How do I pray specifically for help for that one mom, when there are so many millions of moms who need help?

I don't know...but it's not going to stop me from trying.

Oh God, please send them rain.

Comments

Popular Posts