Adventures in Potty Training: Chapter One

It seemed I spent the entirety of my final year at SBS in the bathroom- partially because I was pregnant and running there every five minutes, and partially because we had a really young classroom with lots of little boys who were trying to make the transition from diapers to underwear (I say boys, because for some reason, most of the girls would make it to us already trained...).

Those little boys were a lot of work, but over the past couple of years I've found myself actually looking forward to Blake's turn at "potty training."  If Silka and i could manage six or eight boys new to underwear, just watching Blake would be a piece of cake, right?

:)

Kind of.

You see, at school I didn't really care too much if the boys peed on the carpet.  We mopped it up and took the bleach bottle to it- with that many kids in a classroom it was kind of expected.  But this is my house!  I do very much care if Blake pees on the couch.

At school if the boys had an accident we changed them and put their wet clothes in a bag for the parents to wash.  Here I am the parent.

At school the boys usually fell into one of three categories- the "I'll pee if you give me stickers" boys, the "I'll only pee if you drag me in there" boys, and the "you had better watch the clock and take me every 20 minutes because I have no concept of bladder control" boys.  Blake doesn't seem to fall into any of those categories.

So, I guess, quite a bit of my "excitement" over this process has been tempered, and I'm realizing that just like everything else, this is a process that Blake will take his in his own way, at his own pace.

How's it going?  Well, we've spent this week pretty much at home, without a diaper, and never more than a few feet from the potty chair.  We've had a couple of rough days, and a couple of great days.  Today's gone very well- he shocked me and went all by himself while I ran downstairs to switch a load of clothes.  Whee!  I grabbed him and kissed him I was so happy. 

Poor kid.  :)

Comments

Anonymous said…
This too shall pass.... MOM

Popular Posts