A surprising hike.

While in the Great Smokies we took a hike that did not start well.

1.  I REALLY had to go to the bathroom, and there was NOT a bathroom in sight.
2.  Camille was overtired and fell before we even got to the path.
3.  Points 1 and 2 made me crabby.

Like I said.  It didn't start well.

But friends, I think this hike actually turned out to be one of my favorite hikes ever.

The path was a relatively easy one, and the trees were beautiful. 



Actually, in some places it almost felt rainforest-y.


I did not realize that North Carolina is home to some of the largest rhododendron I've ever seen.  We're talking rhododendron TREES, people.  I'm not showing these pictures to my poor little rhododendron in the front of the house that still won't bloom for me.  I think he might try to migrate south.  



And then there are these bridges.


Whoever designed these bridges did not consult me (an accident-prone mother of small children) first.  Alas.  I'm happy to report that we made it across these bridges six times with no mishaps.

After a rough start, the kids ended up doing great, and I'm so glad that we took this hike.  I thoroughly enjoyed it.

(And if you're interested in the result of the "no modern facilities" problem, well...that may be another post entirely.  Suffice it to say I tried the "old fashioned" way, which culminated in my being chased out of my hiding spot by a swarm of bees.  The end.)

Comments

Popular Posts