Space cake

Hmm....Blogger messed around their formatting, so I'm not exactly sure how this will look once I post it.  ;)

---

Here's a picture of a cake that we gave to our nephew for his birthday this weekend.  It was great in concept, but when I got working on it, my rocket did not look like a rocket, and well, there was just something lacking.

It's supposed to be a space theme.  The top tier is a moon-ish crater-thing, and the bottom tier is supposed to look outer space-y.  You can be the judge.


The thing is, while I'm not proud of the way this cake looks, I am actually very proud of my "technical execution."  The fondant went on great, and the bottom tier rocked (if I do say so myself...).  I started with gray fondant, sprayed on some blue (using edible spray paint, of course), and then sprayed some silver metallic (also edible) over the top.  In the light it sparkled, and (at least to Nate and me) it looked very outer space-y.  I'll definitely use this technique again.

Also kind of cool- the stars on the top.  You can't really tell from the picture, but I covered them with pearl dust and steamed them.  (The steaming process enhances the color of the pearl dust a little without having to make the dust into a paint.)

Finally...the Legos?  Non-edible.  I needed something to make it look less like gray blobs and more like outer space....so I talked Nate into stopping at ToysRUs on the way to the party.  ;)

Comments

Popular Posts