...well, because...

Today was kind of a long day.

One of the things that happened today:

I ran to Cub with the kids to get just a couple of things for supper.  While I was looking for Italian bread in the bakery section, a man came up to my kids in their cart, took candy out of his pocket, started to hand one to Blake, and then asked if my kids could have some candy.

Uh...well...

"Oh...you know?  It's really close to supper time, so I think we have to say no."

To this man, I'm sorry.  You did look friendly enough, and I'm sure that you probably have wonderful grandkids and you probably aren't mean or weird, and I know you're probably not trying to poison my kids.  But I have to teach them to not take candy from strangers, and you are a stranger...

So after the man walked away I quietly explained this to Blake and Camille- that it's not ok to take treats from people you don't know, because yada, yada, yada.

And Blake replied, "You lied to him, Mommy."

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!

Well, yes I did.  But it's ok to lie to strangersBut I did it for your own good.  "Well...it wasn't completely a lie because it is kind of close to...

I know, Blake.  I'm sorry."

And like I said, it's been a long day.  And then at the end of the day I have to come up with an answer to that...and contemplate if I know anyone who has actually really been nearly drugged by taking candy from strangers...

...and so if you're my mother and after all that my son calls you and tells you that he's going to come and steal all of your stuff out of your house after you and Dad die, well, I'm really sorry...but that's a parenting challenge I'm going to have to tackle tomorrow.

Comments

Popular Posts