Facing demons (but not jumping hurdles).

Our family recently spent some time in my hometown.  Our visit coincided with my final long run for some training that I'm doing, and as I tried to plan my route, I was having a difficult time coming up with enough streets in my hometown to achieve the number of miles I was looking for.  (Yup, it's a small town.)

I made a loop around the largest route I could find and ended up at the track behind my old high school.


The same track that I DREADED visiting every spring in elementary school.  The one where we had to choose two races to run, and I chose the 50 and 100 yard dash because they required the least amount of running.  The one where I always came in last.

The same track where I (very painfully) had to run a mile to participate in volleyball.  I never could run it fast enough to check off that requirement.

The same track where I watched the real runners practice for track meets.

I looked back at some of my previous running posts, and I realized that I used to really struggle with calling myself a runner.  But guess what.  As I read through some of those posts I realized that even though I remember writing those posts, I don't really identify with them anymore.

No, I'm not the fastest person out there, but I'm improving.  I'm working hard.  I'm getting stronger.  I'm getting faster.

And, more importantly?  I'm doing it because I enjoy it, and because it makes me feel good.

And you know what that means?

I AM A RUNNER.

I AM AN ATHLETE.

And you guys?  That feels really good.

No, I didn't have a hugely emotional experience as I made laps around that track.  But I did have a smile on my face.  I enjoyed myself.  I realized that it might have taken me 36 years to get there, but I felt at peace with that track.*

Why do I write this?  To encourage you.

You CAN.

It might not be running, but whatever you thought you couldn't do?  Work at it.  Gain confidence.

And then go face those demons.

Finally, as I came around the bend and approached a line of hurdles, I took a deep breath, and


BAHAHAHA....NOPE.  We're facing demons...not jumping over hurdles here, people.

;)



*I do have one outstanding goal yet related to that track.  I'd like to figure out what the mile time goal was that we had to meet for volleyball, because I know that even though I'm 20 years older, I could crush it now.  ;)


Comments

Popular Posts