"Nice neighbor" or "Delinquent housewife"

The neighbor from across the street came and knocked on the door this afternoon. In a very worried tone she asked me if I was doing my laundry. (I was.) She was noticing "smoke" rising from the side of our house and "billowing" up over the roof... She proceeded to show me where it was coming from, and said that she thought she would just come over to make sure our house wasn't on fire- she hadn't ever seen smoke coming from there before.

So, my first reaction is to think, "Do I really do our laundry that infrequently, that our neighbor has not once before noticed me drying clothes?" I didn't think so...

Don't worry about the house... My second reaction was to go downstairs and check to see if I could notice anything amiss; and my third reaction was to send my husband a worried email. :)

I am very thankful, though, that our neighbor did care enough to come over and check to make sure that everything was ok. Nate and I have remarked on several occasions how great our neighborhood is. This afternoon was another example.

But....did all of this have to come exactly when I was in the middle of letting Blake use finger paints?

Comments

Popular Posts