Being a girl.

When I was in high school I worked at a hardware store.  I loved it.  Absolutely loved it.  I would love to work in a hardware store again someday.

One.  little.  problem.

I'm a girl...(a "woman" now, I suppose, seeing as I'm within spitting distance of 30 and I have two kids).  

I can clearly remember one instance in the hardware store where I was called a "young heifer who doesn't know what a hex bolt is."  HA.  You ask any regular customer of that store if I was competent, and (hopefully) you'd get a resounding YES!  I took pride in knowing my "hardware stuff"...although I should admit that I did blush slightly when I learned that plumbing fixtures have male and female ends.  ;)

Being called a heifer stung.  He was calling me that because of assumptions that he was making because I was a girl.  I've gotten the heifer look again a couple of times recently.  It doesn't feel good.

The thing is, I am a girl.  I'm happy that God made me that way.  But that doesn't have to mean certain parts of the Bible are stifling...

I'm glad that Nate's a man- a good man- a good man that I'm happy to submit to (Ephesians 5:22).  Praise God that he takes his higher husband calling seriously and not just loves me, but loves me (Eph 5:25-28).  Praise God that submitting to Nate doesn't mean living my life as a constant recipient of the heifer look- no!  Certainly and completely the opposite!  The very thought makes me want to stop typing, raise up my arms and sing!

Comments

Popular Posts