A very familiar voice.

This is the time of the year when the Z-house is inundated with costume catalogs.  I was looking through one with Blake recently when we came across a devil costume- red with horns...the whole nine yards.

I've been thinking about that costume.  I don't think that's what the devil looks like.  I've never seen him, but I've heard things that he's said...and I don't think he sounds like a red monster-guy with horns.  

The stuff he says sounds normal- perhaps you've heard it too...

You're not pretty enough.
You're not a good enough parent.
You're not smart enough.
Why would she want to be your friend?
You're not worth his time.
Are you sure?
You really think you're worth it?

Yuck.  Not good.  When did I get so used to those messages?  Why should any of that stuff sound normal, anyway?  

If the devil paraded around with red horns on his head, he'd be a whole lot easier to pick out.

I don't always see him coming.  Ok...I rarely see him coming.

Which is why I need to remember this:

"Put on the full armor of God so that you can take your stand against the devil's schemes." (Ephesians 6:11, also v. 13-18)

I think I've posted this before at some point, but it bears posting again.  (I would gladly post the source if I knew it or could find it!)   A 2nd grade teacher taught it to me, and it's stuck ever since.

I put on the helmet of salvation to guard my mind- I think the thoughts of Jesus.
I put on the breastplate of righteousness to guard my heart- I am righteous in Jesus.
I put on the belt of truth- I don't tell any lies, and I don't believe any, either.
I put on the gospel shoes of peace- I'm on a mission for Jesus.
I take up the shield of faith to stop all the darts of the evil one,
and I take the Sword of the Spirit- the Word of God- and I defeat the enemy- YAH!

Oh my I have the grace to remember this every day and to teach it to my children!

Comments

Popular Posts