The maiden voyage

I'm cool now-  I shopped at ALDI today.  

They recently opened a new store semi-close to our house, so the kids and I thought we'd venture up there to see what the fuss was about.  Here's what we found...

What I'd been warned:
Make sure you take your quarter!  You need it to get a cart!
Reality:
True...although the people didn't tell me that I needed to get the cart from outside the store.  Not a big deal...we figured it out.  They also didn't tell me that the quarter-lock-thingy would serve as a wonderful distraction for Blake as we shopped.  The carts were very nice, by the way.  Only...they just hold one of my children.

What I'd been warned:
Make sure you bring your own bags!!
Reality:
Yeah, I needed to bring my own bags...kind of.  As the guy rang up my stuff, he just shoved it in an empty cart- Costco style.  Fine...except my daughter was still strapped in the first cart.  Sigh...it took me a little longer to transfer Camille and then find a spot where I could shove all my groceries into said reusable bags, but I guess it all worked out.

What I'd been warned:
I have to wait in line for a half an hour every time I go there!
Reality:
False.  We waited in line for only a couple of minutes.  I can see how if it got busy I wouldn't want to be there, but we went at 9:15, and the store was incredibly quiet.  So quiet, in fact, that while we were in the store I felt like I should probably keep my kids from making any noise.  Is there a rule against talking in ALDI?

What I'd been warned:
It's so disorganized!  You'll have a hard time finding anything!  It's all on pallets!
Reality:
Meh...only kind of.  Yes, there wasn't a ton of organization there, but it reminded me a lot of Costco...you just have to keep your eyes open if you're looking for something.  People had me envisioning a big room with pallets of stuff scattered all over.  There were some shelves, people!

The verdict?  I liked it.  I got a couple of loaves of split top wheat bread for $.25/ea, and milk is 1.99/gal...  So...now I just have to figure out how much to shop where.  I'm still loyal to Cub (plus, they have the car carts, which buy me wayyyy more time in the store), and I don't think ALDI's a place where I can get all of my groceries.  BUT...there are some things that are wayyy cheaper at ALDI.

So.  There you have it.  :)

Comments

Tracey said…
And CAT food...did we buy CAT food or CAT litter...or maybe a CAT toy??? Just wondering????
Anne said…
don't get me started on the cat. she's currently living it large with a well-rounded diet of [expensive] wet cat food...

Popular Posts