Viernes Santo

You may find this difficult to believe, but both Nate and I can be pretty stubborn at times.  Usually we can compromise pretty well, but in some situations we stick our heels in the ground and refuse to budge.  One of these instances?  Hymns.  We both grew up using different hymnals- most times very similar, yet in some very important cases....very different.
Take the doxology, for example.  I maintain that "the Lutherans" messed up the tune big time, and he maintains that "the Moravians" never got it right.  (Of course, I'm saying all of this "tongue in cheek," but it does make for some interesting worship moments.)  :)

The truth is, regardless of the tune or the exact wording, there are some hymns that come out of nowhere and take my breath away... 

Here we have a firm foundation, 
Here the refuge of the lost;
Christ's the rock of our salvation,
His the name of which we boast.  
Lamb of God, for sinners wounded,
Sacrifice to cancel guilt-
None shall ever be confounded
Who on him their hope have built.
#127, v. 4


Were the whole realm of nature mine, 
That were a tribute far too small;
Love so amazing, so divine,
Demands my soul, my life, my all.
#125, v. 4


What wondrous love is this, O my soul, O my soul!
What wondrous love is this, O my soul!
What wondrous love is this 
That caused the Lord of bliss
To bear the dreadful cures for my soul, for my soul,
To bear the dreadful curse for my soul!
#120, v. 1


What language shall I borrow
To thank you, dearest Friend,
For this, your dying sorrow,
Your pity without end?
Oh, make me yours forever,
And keep me strong and true;
Lord, let me never, never
Outlive my love for you.
#105, v. 5


Lift we, then, our voices,
Swell the mighty flood;
Louder still and louder
Praise the precious blood!
#103, v. 6

(all of these hymns came from the Lutheran Hymnal/Wisconsin Synod- and as much as I may kid Nate, it is a wonderful hymnal.)

May you feel Jesus' presence this evening in your worship, and may you have a most blessed Easter morning.

Anne

Comments

Anonymous said…
Just tell Nate the Moravians were around hundreds of years before Martin Luther.
by the way you did manage to get some of my favorites.
for the record the Moravians have managed to mess up some of the hymms by "modernizing" them

Popular Posts