On being flexible.

Sometimes you make plans for Valentine's day, and then one of your kids gets sick.

And sometimes one of your kids flushes something large and plastic down the toilet, so you help your husband remove the toilet, rescue the large plastic thing, and replace the toilet.

And sometimes really-inconsequential-in-the-long-run things happen, and you feel like pitching a fit.

See, I can be really flexible- as long as I'm in control of the circumstances and outcomes.

But what about when I'm not?

In retrospect it's easy for me to say, "It all happened for a reason." or "It's not a big deal." or "In the grand scheme of life..."

Or I can point to Bible verses reminding to me to "set my mind on things above, not on earthly things" (Col. 3:2), to "clothe [myself] with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience," (Col. 3:12), or to "not be anxious about anything" (Phil. 4:6).

But in the moment?

Oh Lord, I can talk the talk, but why is it so difficult to walk the walk?

Comments

Popular Posts