Apple butter

On our trip to Kansas City we ate brunch at a restaurant.

Yes, the food was good and all, but

GUESS WHAT THEY HAD FOR MY TOAST?!

Little packets of apple butter.  :)

I hadn't ever seen this before- they were smartly packaged and placed right in next to the little jelly packets.

I was thrilled, and I just might have slathered at least four of them on my toast....

Needless to say, ever since we've got back I've been itching to make some of my own.  Yesterday Blake and I peeled (Ok, I peeled, he threw away the peels and counted the apples...) just about six pounds of apples, chopped them up, tossed them in the crockpot, and added some sugar.

Scratch that...I went to the cupboard to get the sugar so that I could be a good mom and let Blake measure out the sugar and then proceeded to find that I was completely out of white sugar. 

Oops.

I did some more Googling and found that you can use brown sugar instead. 

I dumped in some brown sugar (about a cup and a half?  I wasn't sure what it would do to my recipe and I didn't want it way too sweet), some cinnamon (a teaspoon or two?), and some cloves (only a tiny, tiny, tiny little bit...I'm not a fan of cloves, but I'm not sure it's possible to have apple butter without cloves).

I left the crockpot cooking on low for nine hours, and voila!  Two pints of apple butter. 

YUM.

YUM.

YUM.

Enjoy!

Comments

Popular Posts